Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving...


On Monday, one of the films I wrote about was Alice's Restaurant. I mentioned there that the film was based on Arlo Guthrie's song of the same name, which is the only real Thanksgiving song I can ever think of offhand.

As far as I'm concerned, Thanksgiving is not complete without a listen to it, and so today, I'm going to share a live version from sometime in the 1990s. It's longer than the original but just as funny. I especially love the part where Arlo speculates about what was on the eighteen minutes and twenty seconds of Nixon's White House tapes that were erased, and that it is probably just a coincidence that the original recorded version of "Alice's Restaurant" was exactly that long.

And so, without further ado and for your listening pleasure while those of you in the United States are cooking your turkey, or perhaps nibbling before dinner, here is Arlo Guthrie and "Alice's Restaurant":



Happy Thanksgiving, and you're welcome.

No comments: